Recipes and musings from my vegan kitchen. Mostly food-related, with the odd mention of travel, fashion and films.

"You can't just eat good food. You've got to talk about it, too." -Kurt Vonnegut

3.11.2015

Creamy and Zesty Caesar Salad Dressing (Cashew-Free!)

So, here's the deal. I LOVE making foods with soaked cashews; so dreamy and creamy. But I am the WORST at finding recipes the night before, when I need to soak said cashews for 8-12 hours. I am the BEST at finding those recipes when I have less than three hours to dedicate in the kitchen.  My biggest problem has been with caesar dressing. I haven't had a caesar salad in three years because salads are rarely something I plan. So if I need 12 hours to plan ahead in order to whip up some dressing, it just ain't gonna happen.

Enter in the happy little walnut, which lends itself nicely to pestos and dressings after much less soaking time than cashews. After searching for a recipe online, I wound up just whipping this up, and the earthy creaminess balances quite nicely with the lemon, if I do say so.

 Caesar Dressing
1/2 cup raw walnuts, soaked for 15 minutes
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini
1/4 cup olive oil (I actually did a blend of half olive and half almond oil, which is my usual M.O. with salad dressings)
2 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt

Drain the walnuts, and blend all ingredients in a food processor.. Add up to a tbsp of water if you'd like to thin it down a bit.

I'm a fan of mixing spinach and red leaf lettuce for my Caesars, and of COURSE, you need croutons.

Happy eating!

No comments :

Post a Comment