Recipes and musings from my vegan kitchen. Mostly food-related, with the odd mention of travel, fashion and films.

"You can't just eat good food. You've got to talk about it, too." -Kurt Vonnegut

2.18.2014

Mushroom, Fennel and "Sausage" Stew

Recently, I purchased a tube of Light Life Gimme Lean Sausage on impulse. Since I didn't eat much meat before I went vegan, I don't really ever miss it, and so rarely feel the need to buy faux meat foodstuffs. But lately I've found myself feeling pretty tired of plain old tofu, and though I wasn't sure what I'd use it in, it seemed like a fun way to play around in the kitchen. 

Later, as I was putting away my groceries, I realized I'd unintentionally picked up ingredients to make the MOST delicious stew ever, and the perfect meal for this sh*tastic weather. Mushrooms, fennel, "sausage," potatoes and vegetable stock -  it practically created itself right there on my counter. It was like a far less creepy version of that scene in Ghostbusters where Sigourney Weaver's carton of eggs comes alive. 
How many times have I seen this movie and I'm JUST NOW noticing that those are Stay-Puft Marshmallows?
It's also pretty great that it's quick and simply to throw together and, despite being hearty and filling, is only 300 calories and less than 1 gram of fat per serving. 

Mushroom, Fennel and Sausage Stew
makes 4 servings

1 14 oz package of Light Life Gimme Lean Ground Sausage
2 bulbs fennel, sliced (I'm partial to pretty sizable chunks)
2 carrots, chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms
2 medium potatoes, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup white wine
4 cups vegetable stock
1.5 tsp sage
1.5 tbsp thyme
salt to taste
olive oil for sautéing

Saute the onions in oil in the bottom of a medium pot. After a minute, add the fennel. Cook, stirring occasionally for a couple minutes, then add the sage and thyme, and cook for several minutes more. Add the sausage and wine and cook, stirring (and chopping the sausage into pieces) for several minutes. Toss the potatoes, carrots and stock into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes and carrots are just about done. Add the mushrooms and continue to simmer until all the vegetables are tender and the stock has reduced enough to thicken the stew. If you like your stew thicker or thinner, simmer for more or less time accordingly.

Keeps well in the fridge, and freezes well, too, so it's great to have on hand, especially for chilly nights. 
Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment